We're excited to continue Coast to Coast Casual (CCC), a blog series written by East2West, published on MTG Cardsmith.
Phase 2 (Invasion of Dominaria)
So in doing research for this article I found out just how complicated the magic lore is and I could have a whole other article on the various ways that Phyrexia influenced Dominaria but that would take forever. Here are the important points bulleted for your leisure and in chronological order.
- Urza and Mishra enter the Caves of Koilos and disturb the powerstones locking Phyrexia out
- Gix enters Dominaria with the goal of causing enough destruction to permanently cripple the Dominarians
- Gix influences the brothers into starting The Brothers War
- Phyrexia infiltrates both sides of the conflict
- Mishra is replaced with a Phyrexian imposter
- Urza activates the Golgothian Sylex, devastating Dominaria. Urza seemingly dies but actually becomes a planeswalker and finds out Phyrexia was behind the war. He swears revenge
- Phyrexia tries to infiltrate the rebuilding societies, they fail due to the Dominarians getting spooked by the sudden appearance of the Phyrexians (back than all Phyrexians looked the same)
- The aftermath of the Sylex blast caused The Shard of the Twelve Worlds to form. Locking twelve planes together and keeping Phyrexia out.
- Urza travels the multiverse trying to find the Phyrexians. He encounters Xantcha, a Phyrexian sleeper agent who went rogue.
- Urza and Xantcha run from Phyrexia across hundreds of planes.
- Freyalise casts The Word Spell, breaking the Shard
- Gix returns to Dominaria and forms a secret cult
- Phyrexians begin to move into Dominaria through the portal
- Urza travels with Xantcha and a newfound ally Ratepe to Koilos in order to defeat Gix
- In The Caves of Koilos Urza faces Gix, eventually killing him. In the process both Xantcha and Ratepe die.
- Urza begins work on anti-Phyrexian countermeasures
- Rath is built as a staging area for Phyrexian troops
- Rath's mass increases to the point of overlay, thus causing it to halfway merge with Dominaria
- Weatherlight crew is formed
- Phyrexians mount final invasion of Dominaria
- Warships descend from Rath over Benalia and take it in the name of Phyrexia
- Phyrexian general Tsabo Tavoc attacks both Koilos and Yavimaya, losing both fights to coalition forces
- The Phyrexians take Tolaria and the great wizard Barrin activates his final spell, destroying Tolaria
- Phyrexia takes the Burning Isles and Urborg
- Tsabo Tavoc defeated by Gerrard and Karn, he retreats to Phyrexia
- Urza assembles the Nine Titans (nine planeswalkers) to go fight through Phyrexia in massive battle suits.
- The Nine Titans are defeated and Urza is captured
- Urza is forced to fight with Gerrard. Urza is promised unlimited knowledge and Gerrard is promised the return of his dead love Hanna. Gerrard wins by beheading Urza
- Yawgmoth returns to Dominaria in the form of the death cloud
- The Weatherlight crew assemble the Legacy and defeat Yawgmoth after first exploding the Null Moon.
- Phyrexian forces lose the will to live and Phyrexia is fully defeated, the original plane utterly devastated.
To be continued in Part 3: Mirran Invasion
East2West is an aspiring writer from NJ currently seeking fame and fortune on the internet. She's been playing Magic since Zendikar block (the original one) and is a commander player with one deck for each two color pair and one for each single color. The only non EDH deck she plays is her own personal Pauper brew, Pauper Eggs. Follow her on her newly created and probably soon to be underused twitter @East2WestMTG.